Tuesday

On illness, compassion and love by the Dalai Lama and how I reacted


In Tibet we say that many illness can be cured by the one medicine of love and compassion. These qualities are the ultimate source of human happiness, and need for them lies at the very core of our being. 
Unfortunately, love and compassion have been omitted from too many spheres of social interaction for too long. Usually confined to family and home, their practice in public life is considered impractical, even naive. 
This is tragic. In my view point, the practice of compassion is not just a symptom of unrealistic idealism but the most effective way to pursue the best interest of others as well as our own. 
The more we- as a nation, a group or as individuals - depend upon others, the more it is in our own best interests to ensure their well-being.

The rest of the Dalai Lama's article on Altruism can be read here

This message caught my attention because of the opening sentence about illness.  At first when I read this I was affronted and felt myself getting annoyed that someone could think these qualities could heal my conditions but then I starting thinking about it.

What if someone had shown me love and compassion at a crucial time early in the formation of the illness stressors?

What if someone's compassion had made them comment and head me in the right direction, early on, for a treatment that may have stopped the progression of dis - ease?

What if lack of a true feeling of love and compassion had been a part in the development of my condition?




What if their love and compassion had given me such amazing feelings that helped ward off the pain and the fog and the deterioration of the body?

What if  love and compassion for myself, and all the other good qualities that they bring, like forgiveness, tolerance and inner strength, had enabled me to not get sick in the first place? 

What if these great qualities could help me now on the way to healing?

We know that babies need love and compassion to survive and thrive but at some point that connection lessens or changes as our children grow older - we stop hugging as much, we allow ourselves to be hurt by things that occur, we lose our compassion, get caught up in what we can see, what we think is important. What skills for loving themselves and forgiving themselves have we imparted to our children and what were we given by our parents?

If love and compassion were physical objects able to be counted how much would we have and how much more would everyone focus on them? If they could be seen connecting and spreading like electric charges, that lit up things affected with beautiful colour, how much would we use them?

NOW the idea of love and compassion being medicine is a great one, to me, that makes me smile.

I am wishing that you feel all the love and compassion that may be coming to you on a daily basis and that you are offering this medicine to others and that most importantly you have it for yourself.

On illness, compassion and love


12 comments:

  1. Very interesting post Lee and I agree with you that showing compassion to others is a very important thing to do. Likewise having someone empathise and show compassion towards us certainly helps when it comes to a chronic illness. It's very easy to feel lonely and think that no one understands how it feels. This leads into a negative way of thinking. I think if people show you compassion and really care about you and how you are doing, you feel a whole lot better in yourself and your outlook becomes more positive. I for sure don't profess that you can cure fibromyalgia throuhg a positive mind, but it can certainly improve how you feel about yourself and how you feel in yourself. It's a difficult thing to do (being positive all the time) but having others help you along the way makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, I so agree with you and your perspectives on chronic illness and Fibromyalgia - we can certainly improve how we feel about yourself. I really appreciate all you do for those with Fibro.

      Delete
  2. Positive thinking can be very healing and although I agree it cant cure Fibro..I can still work wonders and ease the pain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dawn, the power of positive thinking and Fibromyalgia - is worth more thought (excuse the pun!)

      Delete
  3. Another terrific post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Berry, how are you going? I would love to hear.

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee, What a wonderful and thought provoking post. My thoughts are frequently revolving around how can I survive each day alone, because that is where most of us reside day after day when we have a chronic illness, especially one that is poorly understood. I practiced love and compassion as a nurse, but have not received much in return. When I demand respect regardless of the attitudes around me things go better, but love and compassion are truly in short supply. Those of us with fibromyalgia are more connected to this concept, because that in fact is actually part of the problem: we are sensitive people. You are a talented writer. Thanks for your compassionate post and the love you send out to others every day. Blessings to you, Valda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Valda, so great to get your comments (always) Sending you good vibes across the world wide web and hoping you can catch them. Your fibre friend

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Hi- this is a very wonderful resource you've put together!! If you could, please email me at mtrucillo(at)recallcenter(dot)com, I'd like to open up a dialogue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee, your post caught my attention. I recently authored the book FIBROMYALGIA RELIEF. (Lars Clausen). I'd be interested in you reviewing it, because I think that compassion and mind/body chemistry are related. Neuroscientis Candace Pert published her research in MOLECULES OF EMOTION and there's conclusive evidence that our emotions result in the creation of peptide molecules adn these peptide molecules instruct our body function. These emotional molecules are also involved in the storage of memories and even the emotions that arise when we recall old memories. My book is based on a recent further discovery called Memory Reconsolidation - which discovered that these peptide moleculs that bind old memories together can be reactivated and replaced with molecules that correspond to calm. I created a simple method to help people bring calm to our lives and turn off our fight/flight/freeze stress response. The response has been great for many emotional and physical conditions, including fibromyalgia. I completed a study of 39 patients at the office of Dr. Ginevra Lipatn (author of FIGURING OUT FIBROMYALGIA) 80% of the people expeirenced a zero level of pain after one session. Turning off the fight/flight/freeze stress reponse makes a huge difference for people with fibromyalgia. I'd like to be in conversation if you're interested. If you wish I'd be glad to send you a review copy of FIBROMYALGIA RELIEF. Thank you for your work to help others. Compassion. Regards. Lars Clausen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fascinating Lars and would love to find out more

      Delete

Thanks for your input