Friday

Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome book review
Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome : A Survival Manual by Mary Ellen Copeland & Devin Starlanyl.

If you can only buy one book on fibromyalgia, you have found it. Look no further!
When I got my copy, I stayed up all night until I had read the whole thing (not recommended by the authors, by the way.) This and 170 other reader reviews of this book and I think only 1 negative review at Amazon.

This book was written by two Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS) sufferers, one an M.D. and the other a psychologist. It covers both the technical medical theories and treatment approaches and the coping aspects in a readable and lively format. A whole section on coping strategies useful in one's relationships with family, friends, workplace and doctors is included. Other chapters deal with meditation, the body-mind connection, and how to cope with the cognitive dysfunction familiar to CFIDS patients, termed "fibrofog". The personal experiences of the authors are included in boxes along the margins of this large soft-cover book.

Myofascial Pain Syndrome is discussed in detail in this book. Myofascia provide a tough film of connective tissue that surround muscle fibers and hold them in place. At the ends of the muscles, the myofascia band together to form the tendons and ligaments. The system of myofascia connect muscle groups, so that pressing on a sore area, called a trigger point, causes referred pain in another muscle trigger point. Fibromyalgia experts disagree as to the relationship between FMS and MPS, but it is clear that they often occur together in the same patient.

Read more reviews.

You can buy this book for as little as $7.49

This book review is linked up at The Book Nook and Read With Me and Booknificent Thursdays

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to get the book. Also check out this link. It is one of the most comprehensive articles I've ever read on Fibromyalgia. Hope your day is going well.

    http://sacfs.asn.au/download/consensus_overview_fms.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary this is a great article - thanks for the heads up. I especially like statements like: "It is important for  all patients to make  self­powered
      lifeworld adjustments and develop self­help strategies 
      in order to  minimize  the  effects  of  chronic pain, 
      muscular and general fatigue, disturbed sleep, lack of 
      endurance,  etc.'

      Delete
  2. TY for showcasing my friend and mentor's book.

    Without the knowledge and support I received from Devin, my life would have been too painful to accomplish much of anything. It was through her support that I was empowered by her example and help, focusing on coping, communication and understanding the role of MPS/CMP in both FM and CFS/ME.

    Because of Travell and Simons, Devin and the many others who blaze the trail with us, we have a better understanding of myofascial trigger points as peripheral pain generators to fibromyalgia (and many of the comorbid disorders), that myself and others are able to advocate for change.

    Though many times it becomes frustrating for those of us who are educators, medical people AND patients, we must continue on. I am very happy to support my friend, who has supported me in countless ways.

    For all who enter in to this world, understanding myofascial pain and it's role in fibromyalgia is of utmost importance for obtaining the treatments we need, ones that are truely helpful.

    FYI, Devin has another book coming out, hopefully by next summer. I will be announcing it as soon as she lets me know.

    In healing, harmony and hope, Celeste, RN, author, patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celeste, thank you so much for all the information in your comment and all the advocacy that you do for all of us with fibromyalgia. I think there are so many people making claims for what works to help treat fibro it is so important to share what truly does work and myofascial massage treatments give me such great relief (when I can afford them). Please do keep in touch

      Delete
  3. Welcome to The Book Nook at Create With Joy! Thank you for sharing this wonderful bookk review with us!

    I have fibro and I have read a number of books over the years on this topic - some good, some not - but I could not agree more with your assessment: if you can only read one book on the fibromyalgia, this is the one to get!

    I am very excited to hear that Devin has another book coming out and would love to be kept in the loop on this!

    Have a wonderful week and do stay in touch and keep posting with us!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in from Create with Joy and commenting. So sorry to hear you have fibromyalgia. I suspect many people with fibro and other disabilities spend a lot of time creating websites, as you and I do. I am planning to read and review the 2nd book by Devin Starlanyl soon. I'll link it up with you...

      Delete
  4. looks like a truly helpful book, thanks for sharing with #readwithme x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama Mummy Mum, you are right for many people with fibromyalgia this book is helpful as it's written by 2 people who have fibro and who know what helps.

      Delete
  5. What an incredibly helpful book! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina for running the book link up each week. I love it.

      Delete

Thanks for your input